I dream of lost things. The old and forgotten that live in the backs of wardrobe, hidden behind tables and swept under beds. The memories pile up on shelves and between books and on countertops. They overflow at the seams, peeking out from their hiding spots and reminding me of days long gone and people all but forgotten. I am reminded of days when I laughed until I cried and of days when I cried until I laughed, of firsts and lasts, of goodbyes and hellos. Nostalgia runs thick like blood through my house, creeping its way through every crack and crevice, making its home in the walls and under the floorboards. A photo here, an album there, an old pendent, a key, a letter. I am reminded of people whose faces are faded and blurry but who’s pictures are clear and bright and smiling, of days that run into one another and of nights so great I can’t remember them. My house is built from fractured memories and splintered stories that sulk around darkened corner and dance over my pillow at night, and as I lay down to sleep, lost things settle down and build homes in my mind.
Wow, thank you so much Into the Forgotten for nominating me for the Very Inspiring Blogger Award. What a great award! I’m truly honored that you chose to nominate me. My main goal when I began blogging was to gain inspiration and to inspire others so to be nominated for the Very Inspiring Blogger Award is just amazing. Sorry it took me so long to post this. Thank you!
- Thank the blogger who nominated you.
- List the rules and display the award.
- Share seven facts about yourself.
- Nominate other amazing blogs and comment on their blog to let them know you nominated them.
Facts about me
- When I was younger, I was scared of my reflection. At one point this fear got so bad that I had to cover all the mirrors in my room.
- I only eat the red colored jelly beans.
- My biggest fear is going insane.
- I hate having texting conversations because not being able to see the face of the person I’m talking to makes me anxious.
- In secondary school my friend pushed me and I broke both of my wrists. I’ve never broken any other bones but ever since I’ve had a fear of breaking my wrists again.
- I’ve been white water kayaking twice, in Glacier National park in Montana, and in Maine.
- On vacation in Alaska I came within a few feet of a bear. I was too shocked at the time to be scared.
In no particular order, here are some blogs that I’ve been really enjoying recently and that I’ve been finding a lot of inspiration from.
January is already over! Wow, it went by fast. I’ve officially been blogging for a month now! So here’s a little recap of my January. The month started off with family in the Berkshires. Then it was back to school for me. We had quite a few big snowstorms and I got a minor concussion which I’m still recovering from. I did a lot of painting, a lot of reading, and a lot of writing. I already failed to follow through with my New Year’s resolution to go on a diet (no surprise there) but I have been actively eating healthier. Overall it wasn’t the most exciting month, but it was nice to be able to catch up and get back into a routine. Hope everyone else had a good month as well! I’d love to hear about your January and any favorite things you did or read or heard this month! Here are a few of my January favorites.
At the start of the month I got a new sketchbook! I got the watercolor Moleskine sketchbook and I absolutely love it! I bring it with me everywhere I go. The pages are sturdy enough that I can paint on them with watercolor and acrylic but they’re not too textured so I can still use a pen to sketch. Here are a few of my favorite sketches in my new sketchbook.
I’ve been doing a lot of reading this month. Here are my favorite books that I’ve read this month. I actually just finished Wild and I plan to go see the movie sometime soon. I hear it’s very good, I hope it’s as good as the book was.
I love finding new music to listen to. This month I’ve added a bunch of new songs to my playlist. I’ve been listening to a lot from Angus and Julia Stone, Vance Joy, and Milky Chance. Out of all the music I’ve been listening to this month, one of my favorite songs is Stolen Dance by Milky Chance.
Thank you so much Cheryle, writer of Lightwalkers Blog, for nominating me for the Liebster Award! I love your blog and I’ve been having so much fun reading your posts throughout the Blogging 101 course! I’m honored that you chose me to nominate! The idea of the Liebster Award is to help bring attention to less well-known blogs and those who are just starting out in the blogging world.
The Liebster Award Rules:
- Thank and link the person who nominated you.
- Answer the questions given by the nominator.
- Nominate 11 other bloggers, who have less than 200 followers and link them.
- Create 11 new questions for the nominees to answer.
- Notify all nominees via social media/blogs.
Questions I was asked:
- What always makes you laugh? My friends. Even when I’m having an awful day, they always find a way to make me laugh.
- If you were a color, what color would you be? Grey.
- Where is your favorite place? My room. It’s the only place in my house where I can actually get anything done.
- How long have you been writing, blogging? I’ve been writing for as long as I can remember. I’ve been blogging for about a month now.
- Who do you look up to? My family and friends.
- What is your favorite and least favorite personality trait? My favorite is that I’m hard-working. My least favorite is that I’m quite timid and shy.
- What is your most difficult experience? I don’t think I’ve had any really difficult experiences in my life yet.. I guess that’s a good thing!
- What is your favorite word and why? Either existential or affliction. No real reason, I just like how they sound when I say them.
- Who would you be if you were a person in history? No one! I quite like being myself, couldn’t imagine being anyone else.
- What do you look for in a post or a blog? I don’t have a very long attention span (I’m working on lengthening it) so I look for shorter posts about people’s lives and opinions. I also really enjoy art and food blogs, especially ones with good photography. I can’t resist a food blog with tasty looking pictures.
- What has been the best piece of advice you have been given? To enjoy today because tomorrow isn’t promised.
Here are the blogs I nominate:
Amazing World of Mine
The Bubbly Bibliomanic
Insane Like You
Addicted to the Sweet Life
How to be Merri
Gour-Makin’ Me Crazy
The Real Atypical Italian Traveler
- Why do you blog?
- How did you come up with the name for your blog?
- Which of your blog posts are you most proud of and why?
- Do you believe in soul mates?
- If you could travel anywhere, where would it be?
- Are you a morning person or a night person?
- What is your favorite book and why?
- What are three things you want to do before you die?
- What is one piece of advice you wish someone had given you when you were younger?
- If you had the opportunity to switch lives with someone, would you take it? If so, who would it be?
- What is your definition of identity and what do you believe creates identity?
I am a smoker because one day, a boy with brown hair and blue eyes sitting against a tree in the woods offered me a cigarette and I didn’t say no.
I am a smoker because smoking is more socially acceptable than cutting and I used to be a cutter.
I am a smoker because the smoke helps me breath, the smoke helps me think, the smoke helps me clear my head of all the clutter that builds up over time.
I am a smoker because the future terrifies me and painting my lungs black with disease seemed like a better option.
I am a smoker because I give in too easily to my emotions, to my old habits, to my private fears.
I am a smoker because enough will never be enough and letting go is never what it seems.
In response to the Daily Post’s prompt: Enough Is Enough
Wow! Thank you so much, Into the Forgotten for nominating me for the Sisterhood of the World Bloggers Award! This award recognizes the unique voices of women bloggers around the world. I’m honored that you chose to nominate me for such a wonderful award!
- Thank the blogger who nominated you and link back to their site.
- Put the award logo on your blog.
- Answer the ten questions sent to you.
- Nominate seven blogs.
- Make a list of ten questions for your nominees.
Here are the ten questions I was sent:
These were actually so difficult to answer! I had to really think to answer a few of these.
- If you were musical instrument, what would it be and why? I think I would probably be a flute because I’m very shy around most people but I can be hyper and fast talking and thinking around certain friends.
- What is your guilty pleasure? I sometimes talk to myself or sing when I’m cooking and no one else is in the kitchen. I’m not sure if this counts as a guilty pleasure but it is definitely very awkward when someone walks in on me doing it…
- What is your favourite fictional world/universe? Wonderland, without a doubt.
- Why do you blog? Challenging question. There are a lot of different reasons why I blog. I think the biggest reasons is to find my voice.
- What is your favourite movie of all time and what’s so awesome about that movie? Ok, another hard question. I’m really not so picky about movies so I like almost any movie I watch. I think I’m going to have to say Breakfast at Tiffany’s because it is just such a classic, good hearted movie.
- What is one thing you wish were true but isn’t? I wish I wasn’t cynical. I’m working on it..
- If you could Apparate (that’s right, Harry Potter style) to one place on Earth in this very moment, where would it be? I’m actually very happy where I am, but I’ve always wanted to visit Japan so I’d probably go there, as long as it works both ways and would bring me back after…
- What is your life motto? Life won’t wait.
- Who is your inspiration in life? I’m inspired by people.. Of course I’m inspired by my friends and family but most of all I’m just inspired by the lives around me whether I know them or not. I find people’s actions and the unknown thoughts behind them intriguing.
- What is your current favourite novel and why? Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland has always been my favorite book because of its whimsical charm and underlying thoughtfulness.
My Questions for You:
- What is your biggest fear and why?
- What are you motivated by?
- What was the last dream you remember?
- What is your favorite book and why?
- If you could sit down and have a conversation with anyone, dead or alive, who would it be?
- When you were younger, what did you want to be when you grew up? Do you still have that childhood dream?
- Do you have a bucket list? If so what are the top three items?
- If you could boost one of your five senses, which would it be and why?
- Would you rather die young, or live forever?
- What is your favorite thing about yourself?
Thank you so much Into the Forgotten for nominating me for the Versatile Blogger Award! I love your blog and am honored that you chose to nominate me! Thank You!!
Okay so here are the rules:
- Show the award on your blog.
- Thank the person who nominated you.
- Share 7 facts about yourself.
- Nominate 15 blogs.
- Link your nominees’ blogs and let them know.
Facts about me:
- When I’m stressed, I like to bind books. Because of this hobby all my friends get handmade sketchbooks or notebooks as gifts.
- Alice in Wonderland is my favorite book and I collect copies of it from used book stores.
- I’ve been a vegetarian since middle school. I stopped eating meat on a dare and continued to be a vegetarian after the dare was over.
- My top three bucket list items are to go sky diving, learn to fly a plane, and hike the Appalachian Trail.
- When I was younger, I was scared of people to the point where I would only watch animated films because I was scared of the actors and actresses in movies.
- I love watching sad films but I always cry in the happy parts instead of the sad parts. I have no idea why this is.
- I had a lot of trouble coming up with this list because I don’t think I’m a very interesting person.
My nominees, in no particular order:
The following nominees are my all time favorite blogs. They are inspirational, funny, talented, etc. and I always enjoy seeing what they post.
Drawing the Street
Science, Books and Silly Things
In Pursuit of Contentment
Lydia Ravenhall Photography Blog
Thirsty for Travel
The Loving Llama
An Insight into Interactive Art
Just Another Impurity
i love food. i connect deeply with the new weight watchers commercial which states the solution to any mood problem is to have a snack. i really do try to stay as healthy as i can but there’s no escaping the fact; i love my food. i was the girl who grew up reading cookbooks instead of fairy tales. i’m not joking, i used to ask my mother to read me a recipe before going to bed instead of a story. so it made sense that at a young age, i started cooking. even to this day, i still have a fascination over food but because of my recent loss of my childhood metabolism, i’ve had to readjust my habits.
here are a few of my favorite tricks to staying more or less healthy despite lacking any form of self-control when it comes to eating.
- if you don’t buy it, you won’t eat it. this is probably the most important step to eating healthier and the one i struggle with the most, but if you’re anything like me and can’t resist snacking at random times in the day, keeping your kitchen junk food free is a good first step to healthier eating. if you find yourself too tempted to buy junk food in the store, try shopping with a grocery list. if you’re shopping for specific items that you need, you’ll be less likely to indulge on the unneeded items that you want.
- rethink your snacks. instead of munching on a bag of chips try getting in the habit of snacking on vegetables. one of my favorite snacks is frozen peas. i know it sounds strange but they’re oddly satisfying. if this doesn’t appeal to you, try some of the more typical snacks like carrots or celery with a bit of peanut butter or hummus.
- know what’s in your food. with all the processed food and prepared meals in food markets today it can be hard to know what’s actually going into your body. buying organic food is great but can get expensive. another way to know what’s in your food is to simply make it yourself. by doing this you can make small changes to recipes by substituting in healthier options.
- use a small plate. it’s a small change but by using a smaller plate, you’ll be able to avoid accidentally eating oversized portions and you’ll naturally start eating less.
- drink water. try to avoid drinking your calories through sodas and juices. if you get bored with plain water try flavored sparkling water or tea.
growing up i really didn’t see the benefits of a healthy lifestyle but now i look back in horror at some of the meals i would eat as a kid. maintaining healthy eating habits has not only improved my health but has also improved my mentality. i’m able to do more than i was ever able to do before. leading a healthier life style has definitely been rewarding for me and i hope you will find it rewarding as well.
i had a three week break for the holidays which i did not want to let go to waste, and what better way to spend the holidays than with family. i started out my vacation in florida visiting family down there and then jumped on a plane to spend the rest of my time with family up in the berkshires. while we were there, we stayed in a lovely resort. it had everything, from cross country skiing to a very impressive spa and gym. although we didn’t get enough snow for good ski conditions, which was disappointing, there were plenty of other things to do. luckily for me, we spent a good amount of time doing my all time favorite activity, eating!
it’s officially 2015 and you know what that means! new year’s resolutions!! i am both excited and nervous about the upcoming year, though mostly excited. with a new year comes new opportunities to take and challenges to face. here are a few of my goals for the new year.
- start a blog. so i’ve started one, now comes the challenging part; keeping up with it. i still haven’t quite figured out when blogging will fit into my weekly schedule, given that i’m still in school but i’m sure i’ll find the time. writing is something that is important to me and i realize there is never a “good time” to start a blog. there is always something going on, whether it be school or work or family, so why keep waiting? i’ll do the best i can do, and hopefully i’ll learn something and grow a bit through the process.
- move. i’ve lived in the same town for the majority of my life. a small, sleepy little town in connecticut that hardly anyone’s ever heard of. it’s time for a change. in the upcoming year, i have plans to move, which is both exciting and frightening. i’m not sure exactly where i’m going yet, but i’m ready for whatever awaits and in need for a change of scenery.
- meet new people. this may not seem like much of a new year’s resolution, but it is something that i have to challenge myself to do each year. honestly, i’m more of an introvert. talking to new people does not come naturally to me and i envy those who always seem to know exactly what to say. despite this, i love the new perspectives and ideas that meeting new people brings and it pushes me to become a better rounded person. for these reasons, meeting new people always pops up on my new year’s resolutions list.
- go somewhere new. each year, i push myself to go somewhere i’ve never been before. this past year i spent some time hiking in montana, the year before i spent the summer taking classes in chicago, and the year before that i travelled with a group of friends to peru. it can be tough to plan a trip every year, but it is important to me to get someplace completely new and out of my comfort zone.
- be a thrill seeker. each year, i try to cross at least one thing off of my never ending bucket list. this past year i crossed off white water rafting. this upcoming year, i’m hoping to try going sky diving… maybe. still not so sure how sane i am for choosing that as one of my year’s goals, but i want to do something that will push me way out of my comfort zone and sky diving is defiantly a thrill.
so there are a few of my goals for the new year. i can’t wait to see what life throws my way in the upcoming year. i have a feeling it’s going to be a great year.
i hope everyone has a happy and healthy 2015. happy new year.